Apps are a significant part of the technology-driven world we live in and can enhance a person’s life, enjoyment and productivity. Apps are also regularly used by companies both large and small to streamline production and increase ease of work.
What is an app?
An app, which is short for application, is a type of software that can be installed and run on a computer, tablet, smartphone or other electronic devices. An app most frequently refers to a mobile application or a piece of software that is installed and used on a computer. Most apps have a specific and narrow function. For example, a food delivery app might only be designed for users to get food from local restaurants delivered and can’t be used for anything else, such as grocery shopping or making restaurant reservations. There are currently millions of apps available in various categories like business, productivity, shopping and scheduling.
Apps can be especially important to business owners and businesses for a number of reasons, including that they:
- Can help business owners quickly deploy software that helps the company run more efficiently
- Are more cost-effective than other forms of software
- Can extend the reach of a business
- Can increase the productivity of a company
- Enable employees to perform business functions outside of the office
- Provide a number of services for businesses, including accounting, inventory management and CRM software
Types of apps
There are a few different types of apps available for download by businesses and individuals alike. The following are the most commonly recognized apps in use today:
Apps that are created for a certain mobile platform are known as native applications. For example, an app that is made for an Apple iPhone will only be usable on Apple devices and would not work on other types of mobile phones, such as Android. These types of apps are primarily used to provide the highest performance on a particular mobile operating system. An example of a native app is the calculator application on the iPhone.
A hybrid app is an app that is made to support both native and web-based technologies and is a combination of both web-based and native applications. These apps are easier and quicker to create and only use a single code base that can be integrated across various platforms. However, it’s important to note that hybrid apps often have a lower performance rate than native or web-based apps.
How to get apps
There are several different ways to get an app depending on where you wish to download it. For smartphones, users can download apps directly from the app store that corresponds with the type of mobile device they have. For example, if you have an Apple iPhone, you can download apps directly from the App Store that is located in the phone. For Android devices, users can download mobile apps from the Google Play Store and Amazon’s Amazon Appstore.
The following are additional locations that mobile apps may be purchased and downloaded:
- Microsoft Store
- BlackBerry World
- Windows Phone Store
- Opera Mobile Store
- Samsung Apps
- To download apps onto a computer desktop, users can access applications in both official and unofficial capacities. For example, a desktop user could download apps from an unofficial source like FileHippo.com or Softpedia. Desktop apps are typically more widely available through unofficial sources. However, there are a few official app sources that are specific to the type of desktop a person has. For example, individuals who own an Apple Mac computer can download desktop apps from the Mac App store.
- Additionally, web applications can also be used on both mobile devices and desktops. These types of apps typically don’t need to be downloaded. However, some search engines have their own application stores, such as apps that only run on Google Chrome.
Some Apps can be hosted on a server and downloaded via a QR Code. You will have to allow the app to install through permissions. on your device.
What’s the difference between a program and an app?
- A computer program is a set of instructions that can be executed on a computer.
- An application is software that directly helps a user perform tasks.
- The two intersect, but are not synonymous. A program with a user-interface is an application, but many programs are not applications.
How much does an app cost?
(Feb 2020) A quality mobile app built in Australia will cost between $50,000-$250,000+. A start-up looking to develop an app with a basic feature set for an MVP (Minimum Viable Product) is likely to cost between $50,000-$100,000.
Easy Mobile Apps have made App creation more affordable and can produce a basic app for around $1,200 AUD